“If you think it’s expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.”-Red Adair
The Pros & Cons – Pro VS Hobby
There are many factors to consider when leaving our beloved pets in the care of another. Often, during these times we may have lots of worries and questions and aren’t sure which is better, so we ask, which is better? Should I hire a professional pet care provider, or do I ask my friends, neighbors, and relatives? In this article, we will look at the pros and cons of both, so that you or anyone you know can better understand the differences between the two.
- Let’s first take a look at the PROS of hiring the hobbyist
When you hire your friend, neighbor or relative hobbyist:
- The rate is usually very cheap or even free.
- You can often exchange sitting for favors. You know this person, so you naturally feel more comfortable with them.
- You might have a variety of neighbors/friends/relatives that are able to rotate sitting shifts.
Cons of hiring the hobbyist:
When you hire your friend, neighbor or relative:
- Often the visit isn’t as much of a priority to them as you would like.
- The is no official accountability with professional software.
- They lack emergency training. Believe it or not, this comes in handy when you least expect it. (Ask about our Chinchilla emergency.)
- Cheaper and free is great for some things, but the best care for your pet usually comes at a higher cost. Even in pet care, usually, you get what you pay for.
- Numerous people report their hobby pet care providers being rushed during the visits trying to get back to their normal lives.
- We hear a number of complaints from new clients about how asking their friend, neighbor or relative has just become a flat-out burden. They have their own jobs, lives, kids, and pets and sometimes we just feel relieved knowing we don’t have to bother them with our sitting needs.
- What happens if your friend or neighbor gets sick or has an emergency, or their car breaks down? Will they remember to notify you, can they be backed up? Will they put your pet’s needs ahead of whatever personal things they have going on?
- What happens after and during their normal social functions, will your pets be safely handled and remembered before, after and during?
- What if they feed your dog before going out on a long walk or run, do they know what bloat is and can they recognize it?
- What is their plan if an emergency happens?
- What are their preventative plans?
- Will they have parties in your home with people you don’t know?
- Will they post on social media you are gone, targeting your home for robbery?
- If they cause a major issue, who is liable there?
All these questions should be considered when deciding between the “hobbyist” and the professional pet care provider, as they are all directly related to an incident that happened when someone hired the hobbyist over the professional.
Here how Beach Pupps Professional Dog Walking sets itself apart from the hobbyist-
- Our one and only job is to provide the best care possible for your dog. This means spending the quality time with your dogs that you ask and pay for. While we make sure their quality of life and well-being is at the top of priories.
- We have 100% accountability with software that has you in control of your schedule and bookings. With double GPS tracking and smart technology integrated into the service, you feel like you’re always involved and never left guessing how a visit went.
- If we say we will be there, we will, in fact, be there. We will never leave your dog stranded. No matter the emergency, Beach Pupps will see to it that your pet is safely taken care of because we run as a team, not a single entity. Single entity pet care providers typically burn out or life happens and they end up needing to take time off from your pet, leaving you right back at square one. We walk dogs every single business day of the year with the exception of government holidays and natural or man-made disaster emergencies such as hurricanes, fires or war.
- When I opened Beach Pupps, I already had many years in the professional pet care industry, from Veterinary Assisting to working with trained border collies. It was natural for me to provide exceptional pet care because of my expertise. With having several certifications and continuing my pet care education, I plan to have Beach Pupps around for many years.
- We carry certifications and insurance in order to promote highly trained, safe and honest practices to better protect your dogs, you and our staff.
- There is a reason professional pet care costs more than your friends, neighbors, and relatives. Getting what you pay for, as mentioned earlier, still stands, even when hiring a pet care provider.
- Finally, we are here for you and your dog, solely for wellness and walking. We do whatever we can to make sure your time and relationship with Beach Pupps is that of high-quality and happiness. We follow all your instruction and routines, you lead we follow. We work with you and for you. No favors, strictly our honor and duty to give you the best.
To conclude, take into consideration all these points, and we wish everyone the best of luck in their dog walking search! Choose Beach Pupps!
Thank you for reading,
Beach Pupps, LLC
Founder, Operator, Founder